For the past few weeks I’ve been able to catch some great movies. Some are oldies that take me back and others are newer. The last few weeks of 175 degree weather has a way of planting you on the couch with absolutely no ambition….and I fine with it.
Usually in this house watching a movie can set you back 3-4 hours for a normal hour and a half flick. Between these kids thinking they need something or talking your head off during the movie, the pause and rewind button gets a work out. BUT lately the stars and moon have aligned and the children have allowed some little movie moments to happen.
1. A Star is Born (1976) – “Are you a figment of my imagination, or I am one of yours?……Watch closely now.” Die hard A Star is Born fans will know exactly what I’m talking about. (That’s you Mom!) Barbra can do no wrong in my eyes. Her voice, her wardrobe and the way she bopped her head side to side in the final song in the movie. CLASSIC. I’ve heard through the Hollywood grapevines that there is a remake happening as we speak starring Beyoncé‘ and directed by Clint Eastwood. I beg you Clint Eastwood, end production….NOW!
2. Platoon (1986) – Far before Charlie Sheen was a lunatic, he was a pretty good actor. Each time I see this movie, I discover another actor who appeared in this movie. Did you know Johnny Depp was in Platoon? I won’t tell you his fate just in case it’s news to you. Platoon had scenes that I still can’t shake. One of the most memorable moments in this movie was when King (Keith David) says to Chris (Charlie Sheen), “All you got to do is make it out of here, and it’s all gravy. Every day, the rest of your life, gravy. “ The way it should be for our Veterans, but very far from reality.
3. Big Mama’s House (2000) – Martin Lawrence was brilliant as Big Mama. Now let’s make it clear, I’m talking Big Mama’s House the first one. Like with most sequels, the second movie sucked. But the first one hilarious! “Oh happy day…..”
4. The Godfather 1,2 and yes even 3 (1972) – I don’t care which Godfather you pick, when it’s on I’m out of commission for those 10 hours. Come on! Marlon Brando, Al Pacino, the music, the story line and the camera work. Just perfection. And yes even the not so loved by many third one I still love. The scene alone with Pacino saying, “Just when I thought I was out… they pull me back in“ is Grammy worthy on any day.
5. Forrest Gump (1994) – Another one that’s 10 hours long and I’m laid out on the couch for every bit of it. This is one of those movies that has your emotions all over the place. Remember that look on Forrest’s face when Jenny told him her son was named after his father?
6. Aliens (1986) – Out of all the Alien franchise, my favorite is Aliens (the second movie). Ripley’s motherly instinct kicked in and she was the ultimate mama bear. Classic line? “Stay away from her you B****!!!!“
7. Nacho Libre (2006) – I can’t even write about this movie without giggling. Jack Black and that body in that costume is just what happiness is made from. Too many scenes to mention that were just epic hilarious. Plus this movie’s soundtrack is great too.
8. Coming to America (1988) – “SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!!“ “That aint nothin but an ultra perm.” Should I continue?
9. Troy (2004) – If you don’t watch Troy for nothing else, Brad Pitt and Eric Bana are worth it alone. Besides all the hotness it IS an entertaining movie. After watching this movie I became interested in the stories of Helen of Troy and Achilles. I read several history books that explained these characters more than the movie.
10. You’ve Got Mail (1998) – I have a confession. I watch this movie mainly for Meg Ryan’s hair. Issues? Yes, I know, but seriously how cute is it!?! Also, it’s a wonderful autumn/winter movie. The scenes of autumn leaves are beautiful! One of those cuddle with your favorite blanket movies.
11. First Knight (1995) – Ever heard of this one? It starred Richard Gere, Sean Connery and Julia Ormond. It’s probably one that most would pass up watching. But if you love good old fashion love stories about kings and queens this one you’ll like.
Ah, so many movies so little time (alone)! Did I mention any that are one of your fav’s? What movies are on your list?